Strangulation/suffocation is very dangerous

Most people get better after a strangulation/suffocation injury, however sometimes longer term problems or injuries may result. It is important that you seek medical advice from a medical practitioner as soon as possible, and let them know you have been strangled/suffocated.

Where to get medical help

If you have been strangled/suffocated, go to your:

  • Family doctor (GP)
  • Local urgent medical care clinic
  • Local hospital

Or call an ambulance (dial 111) if you are experiencing any strangulation/suffocation injuries.

If you are in immediate danger call the Police (dial 111).

Where to get further information & support

If you are a victim of family violence or in a relationship that makes you fearful about your own or anyone else's safety, seek help as soon as possible. You have the right to be safe.